This is the information I gathered from the Northern Hills Ranger District of the Black Hills National Forest.
- Effective December 1, 2010
- The yearly permit is usually valid from January 1 through December 31 - It seems that an exception will be in place for the first year, which could run from December 1, 2010 through December 31, 2011 (TBA)
- Yearly cost: $25.00
- 7 consecutive days permit: $20.00
- Permits are required for each motorized off-road vehicle including Jeep, ATV/UTV, dirt bikes, etc. --- less than 62 in.
- The NF is working on having the permits available for purchase before the 1st of December
- If you lose your yearly permit, you may replace it for $10.00 with proof of purchase
- If you lose your 7-day permit, keep your proof of purchase because it will not be replaced
- Maps will (should) be available online on October 1
- Frank Carroll will email me the media information on Friday (October 1) --- to be posted ASAP -- also watch for info in regional newspapers
- There will be no penalty for anyone riding in the Black Hills until December 1 - no permit needed, no trail system in place officially until then
- October 1 is a media release day -- no ribbon cutting until December 1 according to Frank Carroll
- Maps should be available by next week (October 4) at the Northern Hills Ranger District (At least they hope so!)
- Remember --- the trail system will be effective December 1 --- many are marked already and some are closed!
I hope this helps... Micheline